Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 4: Craft Focus


This collage is made out of an onion ring and an eyeball. My classmates picked this object because it can be easily isolated. First, I opened this photo with Photoshop and highlighted the pixels that I wasn’t using. I used the rectangular marquee tool to delete large areas around the onion ring. I also used the polygon lasso tool to delete pixels around the onion that weren’t perfect shapes. Then, I used the eraser tool to get around the edges to make sure there weren’t any extra pixels I didn’t need. I selected my entire final cutout and copied and pasted it in a blank file in Photoshop. I renamed the background layer to change the color to a bright pink. After, I went into edit and clicked paste nine times. I played with each layer by putting them in the right order so that certain onion rings would stand out more. I brought the ninth layer to the front and changed the saturation to a bright blue. I arranged the onion rings this way so that the center would stand out the most. I am controlling the viewer’s eye by positioning the ninth layer in the center which stands out the most because the scale is bigger compared to the other objects. Also, I saturated the color which made this onion ring stand out over the other onion rings because of the contrast. This blue helps the blue eyeball also stick out more in the center of the onion ring. The other normal onion rings are further which makes them look less important. This helps the blue onion ring in the center stick out more because since the onion ring is repeated the others are ignored. This is an eyeball inside an onion ring and it does not mean anything in particular. I am trying to say by playing around with different tools such as size, color, and position helps an item stand out more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment